100 years of educating young women has shaped who we are today.

Discover some of the key events that make our school unique.

St Mark’s Church School opens in February 1920 with just eight students.

- By December the same year, the number of students doubles.

- In 1927, the school moves to its new home in Torrington Street and the school motto, Utilis in Ministerium is adopted.

- In 1928, Miss Louisa Taylor commenced as Headmistress.

- The first school magazine, The Marcian is produced in 1928 and school traditions, including a Prefect and a House System are also introduced. Uniform also becomes compulsory.

In 1930, the school changes its name to Camberwell Girls Grammar School (St Mark’s).

- The Parents Association and The Marcians Association for old grammarians are established.

- Sports days include sack races and egg and spoon races and in 1936, a third House is introduced.

- In 1936, with donations from parents, the school’s first Assembly Hall opens, along with a Kindergarten.

At the height of World War II, to protect students from the threat of air-raids, zigzag trenches are dug into the grounds of the school.

- The school’s first Science Laboratory opens in 1940.

- In 1941, the first old grammarian is awarded a place at university.

- Two staff members and 12 old grammarians join the Services in 1942 and students knit socks for soldiers. The school also opens its doors to children evacuated from England and the Dutch East Indies. The War ends in 1945.

- The School Hymn is sung for the first time at the 1944 Speech Night.

- The school is granted full registration as a secondary school in October 1947.

- In 1948, the school purchases two blocks of land beside the school to enable expansion.

The school broadens its horizons with interstate tours to Queensland and Central Australia.

- In 1951, the school opens its first Sports Field and the first floor of the Woodstock Wing.

- The following year, a Tuckshop opens and is run by the Mothers Auxiliary, who formed in 1951.

- The first major drama production, Alice in Wonderland is staged in 1956 and begins a tradition of annual productions to the present day.

- Miss Taylor retires and Miss Dorothy Hall commences as the school’s new Headmistress in 1959.

In 1964, Camberwell Girls Grammar School merges with Australia’s oldest school for girls, Ormiston Girls School.

- Ormiston becomes the Junior School, located in Mont Albert and Camberwell became the Senior School.

- In 1961, students from overseas join the school community and the number of students from abroad continues to grow to the current day.

- In 1965, a fourth House is introduced due to the growth in students from the merge. The House System now consists of Lawrence, Taylor, Schofield and Singleton.

- School-owned properties on Burke Road are refurbished and become an Art and Music Centre.

The curriculum is revitalised and expanded with new subjects including Music, Home Economics and Physical Education.

- The School celebrates its 50th Birthday in 1970.

- Miss Hall retires and Miss Barbara Sutton, a former student commences as the school’s new Principal in 1973.

- A school orchestra is established in 1974, thanks to donations of musical instruments by the Old Grammarians Association.

- Computers are introduced to the students and staff in 1979.

Music grows in popularity with over 100 students now involved in choirs or instrumental groups.

- Significant new facilities are developed in 1983 including the R.D. Physical Education Centre and the R.M. Westcott Wing.

- Miss Sutton retires and Dr Barbara Fary commences as the school’s new Principal in 1988. The Barbara F. Sutton Assembly Hall and Cultural Centre opens the same year.

- The school changes its name in 1989 to Camberwell Anglican Girls Grammar School.

- Redevelopment of the Ormiston buildings in Mont Albert commences in 1989.

In 1990 the Victorian Certificate Education (VCE) is introduced and by 1995, computer laboratories are established.

- In 1991 the school stages its first student art exhibition, a tradition that has continued.

- Mandarin is introduced into the curriculum in 1993 and an exchange program with China and the formation of a sister school commences in 1995.

- The school’s first Australian Rules Football team is established in 1996.

- The Barbara Fary Science Centre, with state of the art facilities opens in 1997.

The school is officially known as Camberwell Girls Grammar School from 2000.

- Dr Fary retires and Mrs Anne Feehan commences as the school’s new Principal in 2001.

- The 2000 Marcian magazine cover is of a typical student’s desk and contains floppy discs, a Nokia mobile phone and film camera.

- A property on Mont Albert Road and Oak Street is purchased in 2003 to enable the Junior School to relocate to within close proximity of the Senior School.

- In 2007, the new home for Ormiston is complete and the Junior School relocates from Mont Albert to Canterbury, bringing the two schools together as one. In 2008, the Junior School is awarded The Best Designed Primary School in the World.

Embracing the future, Robots are now permanent members of the school community.

- In 2012, the Woodstock Building is opened by the Premier of Victoria, The Hon Ted Baillieu.

- In 2014, Mrs Feehan retires and Mrs Debbie Dunwoody commences as the school’s sixth Principal in 2014.

- A MakerSpace and adjoining Robotics Laboratory is officially opened in 2016.

- Inspiring facilities and new programs provide students with the opportunity to invent, innovate and create using technology and robots.

- In 2016, the school is invited to join the Strategic Alliance of Global Educators (SAGE), a select global network made up of 16 leading schools.

- The Anne Feehan Building, a 3 story hub for our Years 7 and 8 students opens in 2016.

- The school’s deep commitment to social justice is further enhanced in 2017 with a new learning framework and a focus on service learning.

We look to the future with hope and will strive to remain at the forefront in the education of young women.

Just like the thousands of women who have graduated over the past 100 years, Camberwell girls will continue to shape the world into a better place for all.

St Mark’s Church School opens in February 1920 with just eight students.

– By December the same year, the number of students doubles.

– In 1927, the school moves to its new home in Torrington Street and the school motto, Utilis in Ministerium is adopted.

– In 1928, Miss Louisa Taylor commenced as Headmistress.

– The first school magazine, The Marcian is produced in 1928 and school traditions, including a Prefect and a House System are also introduced. Uniform also becomes compulsory.

In 1930, the school changes its name to Camberwell Girls Grammar School (St Mark’s).

– The Parents Association and The Marcians Association for old grammarians are established.

– Sports days include sack races and egg and spoon races and in 1936, a third House is introduced.

– In 1936, with donations from parents, the school’s first Assembly Hall opens, along with a kindergarten room

At the height of World War II, to protect students from the threat of air-raids, zigzag trenches are dug into the grounds of the school.

– The school’s first Science Laboratory opens in 1940.

– In 1941, the first old grammarian is awarded a place at university.

– Two staff members and 12 old grammarians join the Services in 1942 and students knit socks for soldiers. The school also opens its doors to children evacuated from England and the Dutch East Indies. The War ends in 1945.

– The School Hymn is sung for the first time at the 1944 Speech Night.

– The school is granted full registration as a secondary school in October 1947.

– In 1948, the school purchases two blocks of land beside the school to enable expansion.

The school broadens its horizons with interstate tours to Queensland and Central Australia.

– In 1951, the school opens its first Sports Field and the first floor of the Woodstock Wing.

– The following year, a Tuckshop opens and is run by the Mothers Auxiliary, who formed in 1951.

– The first major drama production, Alice in Wonderland is staged in 1956 and begins a tradition of annual productions to the present day.

– Miss Taylor retires and Miss Dorothy Hall commences as the school’s new Headmistress in 1959.

In 1964, Camberwell Girls Grammar School merges with Australia’s oldest school for girls, Ormiston Girls School.

– Ormiston becomes the Junior School, located in Mont Albert and Camberwell became the Senior School.

– In 1961, students from overseas join the school community and the number of students from abroad continues to grow to the current day.

– In 1965, a fourth House is introduced due to the growth in students from the merge. The House System now consists of Lawrence, Taylor, Schofield and Singleton.

– School-owned properties on Burke Road are refurbished and become an Art and Music Centre.

The curriculum is revitalised and expanded with new subjects including Music, Home Economics and Physical Education.

– The School celebrates its 50th Birthday in 1970.

– Miss Hall retires and Miss Barbara Sutton, a former student commences as the school’s new Principal in 1973.

– A school orchestra is established in 1974, thanks to donations of musical instruments by the Old Grammarians Association.

– Computers are introduced to the students and staff in 1979.

Music grows in popularity with over 100 students now involved in choirs or instrumental groups.

– Significant new facilities are developed in 1983 including the R.D. Physical Education Centre and the R.M. Westcott Wing.

– Miss Sutton retires and Dr Barbara Fary commences as the school’s new Principal in 1988. The Barbara F. Sutton Assembly Hall and Cultural Centre opens the same year.

– The school changes its name in 1989 to Camberwell Anglican Girls Grammar School.

– Redevelopment of the Ormiston buildings in Mont Albert commences in 1989.

In 1990 the Victorian Certificate Education (VCE) is introduced and by 1995, computer laboratories are established.

– In 1991 the school stages its first student art exhibition, a tradition that has continued.

– Mandarin is introduced into the curriculum in 1993 and an exchange program with China and the formation of a sister school commences in 1995.

– The school’s first Australian Rules Football team is established in 1996.

– The Barbara Fary Science Centre, with state of the art facilities opens in 1997.

The school is officially known as Camberwell Girls Grammar School from 2000.

– Dr Fary retires and Mrs Anne Feehan commences as the school’s new Principal in 2001.

– The 2000 Marcian magazine cover is of a typical student’s desk and contains floppy discs, a Nokia mobile phone and film camera.

– A property on Mont Albert Road and Oak Street is purchased in 2003 to enable the Junior School to relocate to within close proximity of the Senior School.

– In 2007, the new home for Ormiston is complete and the Junior School relocates from Mont Albert to Canterbury, bringing the two schools together as one. In 2008, the Junior School is awarded The Best Designed Primary School in the World.

Embracing the future, Robots are now permanent members of the school community.

– In 2012, the Woodstock Building is opened by the Premier of Victoria, The Hon Ted Baillieu.

– In 2014, Mrs Feehan retires and Mrs Debbie Dunwoody commences as the school’s sixth Principal in 2014.

– A MakerSpace and adjoining Robotics Laboratory is officially opened in 2016.

– Inspiring facilities and new programs provide students with the opportunity to invent, innovate and create using technology and robots.

– In 2016, the school is invited to join the Strategic Alliance of Global Educators (SAGE), a select global network made up of 16 leading schools.

– The Anne Feehan Building, a 3 story hub for our Years 7 and 8 students opens in 2016.

– The school’s deep commitment to social justice is further enhanced in 2017 with a new learning framework and a focus on service learning.

We look to the future with hope and will strive to remain at the forefront in the education of young women.

Just like the thousands of women who have graduated over the past 100 years, Camberwell girls will continue to shape the world into a better place for all.

1920s

St Mark’s Church School opens in February 1920 with just eight students.

– By December the same year, the number of students doubles.

– In 1927, the school moves to its new home in Torrington Street and the school motto, Utilis in Ministerium is adopted.

– In 1928, Miss Louisa Taylor commenced as Headmistress.

– The first school magazine, The Marcian is produced in 1928 and school traditions, including a Prefect and a House System are also introduced. Uniform also becomes compulsory.

1930s

In 1930, the school changes its name to Camberwell Girls Grammar School (St Mark’s).

– The Parents Association and The Marcians Association for old grammarians are established.

– Sports days include sack races and egg and spoon races and in 1936, a third House is introduced.

– In 1936, with donations from parents, the school’s first Assembly Hall opens, along with a kindergarten room

1940s

At the height of World War II, to protect students from the threat of air-raids, zigzag trenches are dug into the grounds of the school.

– The school’s first Science Laboratory opens in 1940.

– In 1941, the first old grammarian is awarded a place at university.

– Two staff members and 12 old grammarians join the Services in 1942 and students knit socks for soldiers. The school also opens its doors to children evacuated from England and the Dutch East Indies. The War ends in 1945.

– The School Hymn is sung for the first time at the 1944 Speech Night.

– The school is granted full registration as a secondary school in October 1947.

– In 1948, the school purchases two blocks of land beside the school to enable expansion.

1950s

The school broadens its horizons with interstate tours to Queensland and Central Australia.

– In 1951, the school opens its first Sports Field and the first floor of the Woodstock Wing.

– The following year, a Tuckshop opens and is run by the Mothers Auxiliary, who formed in 1951.

– The first major drama production, Alice in Wonderland is staged in 1956 and begins a tradition of annual productions to the present day.

– Miss Taylor retires and Miss Dorothy Hall commences as the school’s new Headmistress in 1959.

1960s

In 1964, Camberwell Girls Grammar School merges with Australia’s oldest school for girls, Ormiston Girls School.

– Ormiston becomes the Junior School, located in Mont Albert and Camberwell became the Senior School.

– In 1961, students from overseas join the school community and the number of students from abroad continues to grow to the current day.

– In 1965, a fourth House is introduced due to the growth in students from the merge. The House System now consists of Lawrence, Taylor, Schofield and Singleton.

– School-owned properties on Burke Road are refurbished and become an Art and Music Centre.

1970s

The curriculum is revitalised and expanded with new subjects including Music, Home Economics and Physical Education.

– The School celebrates its 50th Birthday in 1970.

– Miss Hall retires and Miss Barbara Sutton, a former student commences as the school’s new Principal in 1973.

– A school orchestra is established in 1974, thanks to donations of musical instruments by the Old Grammarians Association.

– Computers are introduced to the students and staff in 1979.

1980s

Music grows in popularity with over 100 students now involved in choirs or instrumental groups.

– Significant new facilities are developed in 1983 including the R.D. Physical Education Centre and the R.M. Westcott Wing.

– Miss Sutton retires and Dr Barbara Fary commences as the school’s new Principal in 1988. The Barbara F. Sutton Assembly Hall and Cultural Centre opens the same year.

– The school changes its name in 1989 to Camberwell Anglican Girls Grammar School.

– Redevelopment of the Ormiston buildings in Mont Albert commences in 1989.

1990s

In 1990 the Victorian Certificate Education (VCE) is introduced and by 1995, computer laboratories are established.

– In 1991 the school stages its first student art exhibition, a tradition that has continued.

– Mandarin is introduced into the curriculum in 1993 and an exchange program with China and the formation of a sister school commences in 1995.

– The school’s first Australian Rules Football team is established in 1996.

– The Barbara Fary Science Centre, with state of the art facilities opens in 1997.

2000s

The school is officially known as Camberwell Girls Grammar School from 2000.

– Dr Fary retires and Mrs Anne Feehan commences as the school’s new Principal in 2001.

– The 2000 Marcian magazine cover is of a typical student’s desk and contains floppy discs, a Nokia mobile phone and film camera.

– A property on Mont Albert Road and Oak Street is purchased in 2003 to enable the Junior School to relocate to within close proximity of the Senior School.

– In 2007, the new home for Ormiston is complete and the Junior School relocates from Mont Albert to Canterbury, bringing the two schools together as one. In 2008, the Junior School is awarded The Best Designed Primary School in the World.

2010s

Embracing the future, Robots are now permanent members of the school community.

– In 2012, the Woodstock Building is opened by the Premier of Victoria, The Hon Ted Baillieu.

– In 2014, Mrs Feehan retires and Mrs Debbie Dunwoody commences as the school’s sixth Principal in 2014.

– A MakerSpace and adjoining Robotics Laboratory is officially opened in 2016.

– Inspiring facilities and new programs provide students with the opportunity to invent, innovate and create using technology and robots.

– In 2016, the school is invited to join the Strategic Alliance of Global Educators (SAGE), a select global network made up of 16 leading schools.

– The Anne Feehan Building, a 3 story hub for our Years 7 and 8 students opens in 2016.

– The school’s deep commitment to social justice is further enhanced in 2017 with a new learning framework and a focus on service learning.

2020s

We look to the future with hope and will strive to remain at the forefront in the education of young women.

Just like the thousands of women who have graduated over the past 100 years, Camberwell girls will continue to shape the world into a better place for all.

2020/02/11 08:27:15
2020/02/11 08:27:15

Senior School & Admin
2 Torrington Street,
Canterbury, Victoria 3126 
Phone +61 3 9813 1166 
Fax +61 3 9882 9248

Junior School – Ormiston
4 Mont Albert Road, 
Canterbury, Victoria 3126 
Phone +61 3 9813 1965
Fax +61 3 9813 2530

“We acknowledge and pay respect to the Wurundjeri people as the traditional custodians of the land on which the school is situated”

Discover more at cggs.vic.edu.au